Y'all may remember that recently I inadvertently built a mobile drug-lab.
Well, to atone for that transgression
I called in some reinforcements in the form of a Lego City Cop
and since I wasn't sure he was up to the job all on his own I called in a swat team as well,
complete with their own swat jeep.
Now the real work started!
I had to create a base for everything to sit on.
In this case, 1/2 inch foam board cut into two sections so the whole thing would fit into one of my
hanging-file storage boxes when not actually on display in our display box.
I added a few extra scraps of foam on top of the table-flat bits and carved some contours and wheel-ruts into the whole thing to give the terrain some variety, then taped off where the drug-lab assembly would sit before starting the next phase.
Which begain by toning down the pink of the foam with a couple rattle-cans of earth-tones lightly applied so the solvent didn't melt the foam too much,
before moving on to dirt.
Now in the modeling world you can pay good money to buy various colors of pre-cleaned and sifted dirt from several different sources,
or you can grab a soft brush, a scrap of paper to brush onto, and any handy container, then go out in the yard and collect your own.
By moving around to different parts of the property I was able to come up with a variety of colors
I then sifted them into a brushed-on layer of thinned white-glue through a spare tea-ball, dropped additional, watery-thinned glue on the sifted dirt, and 'settled' it all with a misting of isopropyl alcohol, (breaks surface tension and lets the watery glue flow and seep into all the nooks and crannies.) working on a small area at a time and giving it plenty of time to cure before going back and messing with it.
I recorded quite a bit of the work on the base with my new thumb-camera clipped to a headband, but most of those recordings are unusable. I have to figure out how to get the camera to point down at what I'm working on and not out across the shop - - -
At this point I decided to add some additional texture in a few spots by collecting the shavings from rasping a bit of scrap foam and gluing them down using the same glue/alcohol processes.
Because most deserts are not all dirt I added a few judicious patches of ground cover
and some bushes using the same glue/alcohol process.
To help blend the harsh black-plastic edge of the drug lab assembly into the rest of the scene I 'dirted' around the edge of it a little.
If I was using expensive commercial dirts I would have done this over a tray so the leftovers could be collected and returned to the bag, but since I can just step outside and sweep up some more I didn't bother.
Now I could set the major components
into the scene,
but before making that permanent, lights
had to be added,
and grime
dusted on.
I don't think I was entirely successful at capturing the wiper-marks on the windshield, but you get the idea.
The 'grime' is a variety of pan pastels painted on with foam brushes and fine-tuned by smudging with a fingertip.
Another marginal attempt at videoing what I was doing.
Finally the vehicles could be permanently fixed in place, wiring secured,
This included drilling a tiny hole in the bottom of the swat drone so I could insert a bit of wire
and 'fly' the drone over the scene.
The resulting raid was so fierce (notice the bullet holes in the RV's door) that even the headless torsos surrendered!
And in the mayhem of bullets, flash-bangs, and teargas, the swat robot got confused and ended up dropping its weapon and surrendering too.
There was one casualty, but the balistic vest took the hit and she just had the air knocked out of her. She's fine now.
Well, two casualties if you count the fire, friendly or hostile - that hasn't been determined yet - that took out the red roof-light on the swat jeep.
Clearly something went wrong with this particular light between testing and final assembly. The lights I used for that are very small and delicate so are easily damaged and not easily replaced so I'll just have to live with it
The only way I've been successful at stripping the insulation off the very fine wires of these lights is with a judicious application of direct flame. Just enough to melt the plastic but not enough to vaporize the very thin wire underneath.
a couple videos
of the completed project.
Finally it was time to remove the Viking Fishing Village scene from the display case and tuck it away in a storage box,
Now I guess I better get to work turning the
haunted house into a proper Halloween display.
And after that?
Well last night Fedex dropped a box off up at the gate.
The Wife needed a $3 bobble from Hobby Lobby ($1.50 with the perpetual 50% discount) and we ended up padding out the order to reach the free-shipping threashold. (To be honest we got caught up in the frenzy of catalog shopping exceeded that threshold by quite a bit!)
Now we have more than enough stuff to build a number of Christmas scenes!
Then this arrived today after months of waiting (many model railroad bits like this don't actually go into their limited-run production untill a pre-order threshold has been reached).
It's going to be an element in a Maritime Heritage Museum scene inspired be a screenshot from a window-swap video.
And then there's also - - -
Crap! Clearly the therapy isn't working!
Edit: After living with the new scene for a couple days I decided it needed more overall lighting. Something like a floodlight to give the scene a little more definition.
I've got a mess of these 12v lights. They're designed to be snapped apart and used individually but I left them as a string of five
and created a little mount for them out of a tongue-depressor, a few dabs of glue, a bit of paperclip, and some left over granite rattle-can paint.
With the strip of lights glued to the mount, plugged into a 12v power source already permanently mounted to the bottom of the display case, and the paperclip hanger hooked over the edge of the case, we have flood lights.
From the 'viewing side' of the case its not too obtrusive, but now I'm wondering if I should have just left the mount its natural wood color.
Before
and after.
I may have to use the current-limiter pot on the power supply to tone down the light a little. We'll see tonight.
I was sitting minding my own business while making that last edit to this post and a couple of Guinea Hens came wandering by, ignoring me like I don't count!
That was hurtful!
















































No comments:
Post a Comment