The first part of this was originally written April 19
When I get the tool-case and a bucket full of miscellaneous crap out, it's never a good sign.
Four years ago I had to rebuild this hydraulic cylinder on the front-end loader hanging off the tractor.
With my level of mechanical ineptitude it took three consecutive posts to chronicle my misadventures, starting with this one where I went back and forth, and back and forth - and back and forth - between the main barn where all my tools are kept and the tractor barn where the - well - tractor - is kept.
I eventually got the 20 minute job finished up in about three days, but that was just one of four cylinders on the front-end loader.
Fast forward four years and yep, (big sigh) another one is leaking now.
No - not really leaking so much as gushing like an incontinent old man after a night of playing (badly) beer-pong.
Every time I put pressure into the cylinder a solid stream of fluid the thickness of a pencil-lead gushed forth. Of course I discovered this as we were using the loader to lift a 100 pound window-mount heat-pump onto a cart up on the deck of The Wife's barn so we could roll it inside and replace the old one who's bearings had failed to the point where the fan-motor wouldn't spin at all but rather just groan that dreaded locked-motor groan. (Which was arguably better than the God-awful rattling and clattering when it did spin!)
So it was with great trepidation, and a handy container of additional hydraulic fluid on the foot-board beside me, that I lifted that brand-new, and rather expensive, heat-pump unit seven feet into the air with the leaking loader to reach over the railing of her deck.
We all survived and the wounded tractor festered there beside the deck as we installed the new heat-pump.
I wasn't near as nervous about lifting the old unit off the deck (I just told The Wife to stand well clear and if it fell it fell) and putting it on the trailer so we could drop it off at the county recycling center, (For a $25 fee) but it's a good thing we switched to using environmentally friendly hydraulic fluid some 10 years ago (Even at the best of times this tractor is a bit weepy) because I left trails of the stuff all over the driveway and back down to the tractor barn - where the tractor sat, red-tagged and forlorn, until my new rebuild-kit arrived in the mail.
Which it has, so now procrastination time is over and I could think of no excuse not to head down to the tractor barn and fix this thing - And I did a lot of thinking! - Not a project I was looking forward to!
This time, harking back to what I learned the first time I did this, (Hey, I'm inept, but not an idiot!) getting the piston shaft out of the cylinder was - oh - about five times faster. But I did still have to use a pipe-wrench instead of a proper wrench to get the gland out of the cylinder because I just don't have a wrench that big.
I also left the cylinder body attached to the loader this time because I was going to have to do that anyway to get the gland loose. At first I was just going to leave the hydraulic lines hooked up to the cylinder,
but even before that thought finished flitting through my mind I realized that if I did that I'd have to pull the piston out against the full resistance of the hydraulic system. Yeah - that wasn't going to happen! So I broke the fittings loose so I could pull against air and not fluid.
With the important bits in hand I grabbed my bucket and tool-kit and headed back up to the main barn where I could perform the real work at my somewhat clean bench.
I was careful to compare the orientation of the old bits and seals and stuff with the new,
then with a #11 blade, cut the old bits out, (The first time I did this I used a brand new blade, but this time I just used whatever blade was in the handle.)
Though when it came to the gland-nut there wasn't a lot of cutting involved, more like picking out little bits and pieces of the disintegrated rod-wiper and U-cup. No wonder it was leaking so bad!
The new bits are way too hard to bend and stretch and coerce into place at room temp.
I watched several youtubes where experienced mechanics recommend simmering the new bits in 180 degree hydraulic oil to make them pliable.
Um - Yeah - No thanks! I was involved in a hot-oil incident, several hundred gallons worth, (there were flames! Lots of flames! and I was five decks down inside the engine-room.) when I was building Navy ships. I'll stick to plain old hot water thank you very much!
MEIN GOTT! Vat an orDEAL!ReplyDelete
Hopefully never again!Delete